Awanui Labs is a modern diagnostic laboratory service offering a full range of community and hospital pathology services to the Wellington and Wairarapa regions. We operate 28 collection centres and 4 testing laboratories throughout the region. Awanui Labs was established on 1 November 2015, and is owned by Awanui – New Zealand’s largest network of diagnostic laboratories.
The services we offer
- Molecular Pathology
- Phlebotomy — specimen collection service
- Specimen referral service for esoteric testing
- Point of Care Testing
- Transfusion Medicine
As an medical laboratory we:
- collect and transport specimens
- test, analyse and report on them
- provide expert advice and consultation.
We employ around 400 staff in our laboratories in our collection centres through the greater Wellington and Wairarapa regions.
Everyday about 5000 patient samples get registered in our laboratory and we undertake about 17,000 pathology tests.
Awanui Labs – Wairarapa Hospital Laboratory
Awanui Labs – Wellington Hospital Laboratory
Awanui Labs – Hutt and Kenepuru Hospital Laboratories
Who we work with
We are committed to providing the highest quality, community pathology service to:
- DHB and Private hospitals
- Medical practitioners, including secondary care specialists, general practitioners and private specialists
- Midwives, nurse practitioners and smear takers
- Insurance companies and immigration medical assessors
- Individuals who wish to self-request tests
- Employers for workplace testing and pre-employment testing
- Commercial work, research projects, clinical trials and surveys
- Alternative health providers
Our service strengths
- Our staff: Our staff are key to our quality service. We pride ourselves on their experience, technical skill and clinical expertise.
- Facilities: We have a modern medical laboratory and equipment with robust procedures and processes.
- Quality: We provide a comprehensive range of quality testing with a prompt turnaround time for reporting accurate results.
- Location: Our collection centres cover the region from Wellington South to the Kapiti Coast (Paraparaumu and Waikanae) the Hutt Valley, Wairarapa and many points in between.
- Efficiency: Our courier team operates to a coordinated schedule designed for the timely and reliable delivery of specimens to our central testing laboratories.
- Expertise: Our specialist pathologists possess the clinical expertise, knowledge and professional excellence to provide expert advice to the medical community.
- Dedication: We are dedicated to continuous improvement whilst remaining committed to our Mission and Values, confidentiality requirements and ethical considerations.