Awanui Labs (formerly Southern Community Laboratories) began as small private pathology service in the South Island city of Dunedin in the 1960s. Since then our operations have progressively expanded to become part of New Zealand’s largest network of diagnostic laboratories, providing medical services all over New Zealand.
Our laboratories offer a wide range of diagnostic tests in biochemistry, haematology, microbiology, immunology, molecular pathology, histology and cytology. They are equipped with the newest analysers and state-of-the-art computer systems. Most of our routine patient test results are reported back to the requesting doctors within 24 hours of specimen collection.
Emphasis at Awanui Labs is always placed on provision of top quality laboratory services for Health Professionals and their Patients. We are proud to have branches in smaller provincial towns as well as larger cities.
Please note that the information on this website is relevant to Otago and Southland only including the following regions: Dunedin, Balclutha, Dunstan, Gore, Invercargill, Oamaru and Queenstown.
If you are looking for information regarding other regions please visit our sister sites using the relevant links below:
- For Christchurch, Kaiapoi, Rangiora and Ashburton – www.awanuilabs.co.nz/south/canterbury
- For Hawkes Bay – www.awanuilabs.co.nz/central/hawkesbay
- For Nelson, Marlborough, Timaru and Temuka – www.awanuilabs.co.nz/south/nmt
- For Wellington, Wairarapa, Upper Hutt, Lower Hutt, Porirua and Kapiti Coast – awanuilabs.co.nz/central/wellington
- For Auckland – www.awanuilabs.co.nz/north/auckland
- For Northland – www.norpath.co.nz
- For Taranaki – www.www.awanuilabs.co.nz/central/taranaki
We are committed to the future of pathology in New Zealand through excellence in technical, clinical, and service innovations.
As a member of Awanui Group, we operate under the following STAR values:
- We strive to provide the highest standard of health care
- We look for new opportunities/ways to improve our care and service
- We seek to understand and exceed expectations
Teamwork and Integrity
- Our workmates know they can rely on the team
- We are open and honest in all our communications with each other
- We embrace constructive feedback and recognise achievements
- We earn each others’ respect and receive it in return
- We look to the future, always ensuring that we have stable platforms from which to build
- Continuous learning and creativity are integral to our jobs and the success of our company
- We are proactive and innovative in response to new and emerging industry and community opportunities and needs
- We are accountable to our colleagues, our clients and stakeholders, our company and our shareholders
- Our decisions are made with a balanced focus on financial security and service excellence
- Services are delivered in a way that incorporates the principles of Treaty of Waitangi and acknowledges cultural diversity
Our Name Change
We are proud to announce, on 3 July 2023, after 60 years in the community, Southern Community Laboratories (SCL) changed it’s name and brand to Awanui Labs.
Moving to become Awanui Labs is a significant milestone for our organisation. Many may not be aware that our laboratory is part of a nationwide network of laboratories that span Aotearoa.
Our new name Awanui Labs, brings these eight laboratory brands and network of services, laboratories, collection centres and people together under a unified Aotearoa New Zealand name for the first time.
Awanui translates to ‘big river’ and was chosen to represent the coming together of our services nationwide and speaks to the proud history and strong connection to the communities we support. Like our nation’s rivers we intersect and join. We join together as Awanui.
Alongside the 2,000+ strong team across our network who contributed to this mahi (work), we were privileged to have partnered with Te Reo Māori and Mātauranga Māori experts in health who offered their perspectives to guide and shape the final decision of our name and design.
Following 3 July, you will see Awanui Labs and the new branding appearing at laboratories and collection centres, hospitals and facilities where we have offices and people and, on our vehicles and staff clothing.
We recognise our valued patients and customers know and trust our current and long-standing name and brand in their region.
Our patients and customers will continue to see the same great people, in the same place, and can be confident in receiving first-class laboratory, pathology and phlebotomy services, but with a different name.
Ka tū mātou i muri ki te hauora o Aotearoa
We stand behind the health of Aotearoa New Zealand
For more information about the brand change visit awanuilabs.co.nz